Fast Fitness - Stretch For Menstrual Cramps Physician Told Her Give Up, Fitness Fixer Made Her... Less Pain Means a Happier Lisa Fast Fitness - Stop Neck Pain From Biking Thank You Grand Rounds Vol. 5.47 - Cost Containmen... Fast Fitness - Improved Fitness Fixer Index Diving Women of Korea - The Haenyeo Thank You Doc Gurley For Grand Rounds 5.44 Fast Fitness - Built In Functional Achilles Tendon... Japanese Ama Divers - Cold, Clothing, and Children August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010

Reposting - Physician Told Her Give Up, Fitness Fixer Made Her Able

Jolie Bookspan, M.Ed, PhD, FAWM
Last week, several Fitness Fixer posts did not become viewable after writing and posting them. One reappears here (hopefully) with the rest to follow this week. Photos will not load at all, so I have included links to view them at another page. May all life's troubles continue to be this small :-) enjoy the posts:

Another reader named Lisa wrote in with a success story. This Lisa had not been active for many years. Her doctor had told her the way to stop injuries from running was to give up running. She is now successfully doing marathons, changing to healthy movement, and working as a professional photographer.

Lisa P writes:
"I had done some running in college and wound up with a stress fracture on the ball of one of my feet. I remember the doctor telling me to stay away from running in the future.

"I have enjoyed visiting your site for many months (more than a year for sure) and find your practical, everyday life approaches to body movement and exercise right on. The idea of walking a marathon was a "no-brainer" once I found out that walking was allowed.

"As someone who grew up in a home where shoes were always worn, I never got the chance to let my feet walk around barefoot for any extended periods (or distances). My feet couldn't handle "feeling" everything as they had been encased for so long in any number of supportive shoes.

"I remember reading a post of yours about hiking in flip flops and tried to imagine myself doing anything in flip flops or another simple shoe without a lot of cushy padding and support in "all the correct places." I am using my muscles to adjust to uneven surfaces while walking barefoot or with minimal padding between my feet and the ground. I think this has improved my body mechanics. Doing it myself helps in a way that wearing special shoes to do it for me does not. Time will tell of course.

Walking may take more time than running, but I've become a faster walker with training and will surely realize my goal of completing a marathon in under 6 hours this fall.

"I've made an effort to reduce and or eliminate certain things from my diet such as refined sugars, hydrogenated oils, and processed foods. This most certainly has contributed to the results I get in training. As I near the actual marathon, I will be walking upwards of 30 miles a week. It is amazing how my stamina improves as the miles add up.

"Attached is a photo of me at mile 25 of The Nike Women's Marathon, the first marathon I completed.

For photo of Lisa finishing the marathon, click http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/3831220282_2ed9899488_m.jpg

"Oh, one other thing that I have you to thank for is my regular routine of push ups. After every training walk, I do push ups and am currently doing 36. Won't be long before I get to 40!

"Thank you,
Lisa"
PS There's a link to my fund raising page here"
Check out my latest marathon challenge:
http://pages.teamintraining.org/epa/phil09/lisaphillips


Going barefoot by itself, or wearing special shoes will not automatically put your foot in healthy position or increase balance skills. You can walk in healthy or unhealthy ways when barefoot, and in healthy or unhealthy ways even in an expensive corrective shoe. You can easily change how you move to healthy ways without needing devices, and save time and money. You can change to healthier eating and reduce a grocery bill greatly, by no longer buying unhealthful food. Click the labels under this post for all Fitness Fixer articles with ideas on each topic.

Related:

Not Related, Random Fun Fitness Fixer:
---
I make posts from fun mail and success stories. Before asking questions, see if your answers are already here - click labels under posts, links in posts, archives at right, and the Fitness Fixer Index. Why not try fun stuff, then contribute! Read success stories of these methods and send your own.
Subscribe to The Fitness Fixer, free. Click "updates via e-mail" (under trumpet) upper right.
See Dr. Bookspan's Books, take a Class, get certified
DrBookspan.com/Academy.
---

Labels: , , , ,

Permalink | Email Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home