Another Reason to Avoid Surgery - Catching Fire "A... Beijing Olympics & Martial Arts Class Teach Common... Olympic Fast Friday Fun Steve Loses Weight With Fitness Fixer The Olympics, The Challenge Overhead Lifting, Reaching, and Throwing Part I - ... Fast Fitness - Handstand Rows Thank You Edwin Leap of Grand Rounds Down the Stairs Beware of Hype in Training Methods August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010

Overhead Lifting, Reaching, and Throwing - More Part I

Jolie Bookspan, M.Ed, PhD, FAWM
Nice e-mails and requests came in after Part I last Monday about the overlooked training habit which slowly impinges and tears the rotator cuff. Here is one that covers the points from all received so far.

Reader Hanson writes:
"Thank you Dr. Bookspan for exactly the missing link. I had been attending months of expensive private yoga lessons at [well known studio name deleted] for my shoulder woes without much relief, and maybe have worsened my circumstances. I thought becoming worse with yoga was preferable to surgery that my orthopedic surgeon at [top California facility name deleted] said was required. The yoga directress said more months were necessary (for her wallet?) and I must learn to cool my mind (before I questioned why I wasn't getting better?). I sure didn't question when she wore that little outfit. She showed me yoga poses to "awaken" the area and other fuzzy yoga talk. Poses were raising arms overhead, leaning over with arms overhead, sitting with arms up, and so on. My shoulders burned, she said it was "awakenening." Now I discovered from you it was "impinging." No one said anything about a forward head when I raised arms. I did the same as the directress did. She had this bad posture too. She said do it slowly if it burns. So I burned up my shoulders slowly. Instead of paying the yoga directress for another private session of self-injury raising my arms with head forward I printed your blog and held it overhead to read it. I didn't lean myself back and didn't tilt my head forward. The shoulder is already better. I found all those yoga lessons never prepared me to stand up straight. They told me yoga gives you posture, but it didn't give me anything except a worse shoulder. The "awakening" came from your blog saying use this for life not just exercise. I can lift arms without pain now. I keep my head straight, not forward. Can you put more pictures up of what to look for and can you tell people about your blog?"
Left (pink), upper body leaning backward (explained in Part I). Tilting unevenly compresses the lower spine by increasing the inward curve under load, and fools some into thinking the arm is stretching fully.
Center, hunched (raised) shoulders and forward head. Hunching compresses the area. Keep shoulders down when raising arms. Don't raise arms and shoulder together.
Right (yellow), leaning upper body backward and forward head. Can you detect the forward head camouflaged by the upper body lean back?


Head forward when raising arm.
Shoulders rounded, further compressing the area when lifting the arm.

Head forward when raising arm, shoulders rounded. Also pictured - lower back rounded, tilting the hip (pelvis) too far under. Shifts weight to the lumbar discs (click The Cause of Disc and Back Pain).


Fix Your Fitness to be Healthy and Stronger. Be able to do more, not give up lifting:



---
Read success stories and send your own.
See if your answers are already here - click Fitness Fixer labels, links, archives, and Index. Subscribe free - "updates via e-mail" upper right. For personal medical questions - Replies to Medical Questions.
Limited Class space for personal feedback. Top students may apply for certification through
DrBookspan.com/Academy. Get more in Dr. Bookspan's Books.
---


Photo 1 by djwhelan
Photo 2 by djwhelan
Photo 3 by Jugoretz

Labels: , , , , , ,

Permalink | Email Post

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home