Fast Fitness - How to Feel Change to Neutral Spine Plantar Fasciitis Part I How Strong Is Your Arm? - Readers Find Out Fast Fitness - One-Legged Party Trick for Strength... Voting Is This Week - Healthline for Webby Award Thank You Grand Rounds 4.31 Junk Food Through Your Skin? Fast Fitness - Sprain Prevention and Rehab Training Non-Plastic Non-Aluminum Sports and Fitness Food C... Thank You Grand Rounds 4.30 August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010

Runner Fixes More Pain With Straighter Push-Off

Jolie Bookspan, M.Ed, PhD, FAWM

Last year, reader Ted fixed back pain by learning to use neutral spine during running and daily life. This week he checked in to say the back is still fine, and that he went on to fix other painful sites.

Fixing pain and injuries by doing some exercises may temporarily ease symptoms. Instead, you can stop the source of injury by making movement habits healthy while exercising and moving through daily life, so that you can get exercise at the same time that the area can heal, and the pain not return.

Ted writes:
"Dr Bookspan, last summer, you helped me return to running, and did an article on me and how the neutral spine fixed my back problem with running.

"The back is a NON ISSUE. Thank you so much.

"Currently, I am working on hip/hammy/knee issues (probably due to over-training). Just thought I would share a thought on the ''Duck Foot'' issue you had talked about (I read the Fitness Fixer religiously). While running on the padded infield of the Stadium Football Field, I was still noticing pains in my hip (caught my foot on the ''upswing'' during a run, hip has hurt off and on since October).

"I focused on my feet, specifically, how I pushed off after the foot-strike (very soft, I often scare other runners because they can't hear me coming up on them). A straight push off after the foot-strike made the pain go away (probably because it aligned my foot/knee/hip during the movement). Also, when the knee pain flared, tensing my quads made it go away.

"I have enjoyed reading your ''Running Articles' please keep 'em coming.
AND
Thank you for fixing my Back.
Much Appreciated,
Ted H"

"Ps. I got your new book (Health & Fitness THIRD edition). VERY good info, I'm trying to use it everyday."

To fix the source of pain, it works best to understand healthful movement retraining and not just "do" a series of rules. One important example is keeping feet parallel or facing forward. The idea is to understand that a straight push-off comes from keeping all the joints in the kinetic chain from feet to hip and spine from twisting in unhealthful ways, not just straighten one segment by twisting another. Yanking or forcing the feet straight is not the point of good positioning.

Ted has more helpful stories to come in future posts. Click these posts for more:
Photo supplied by Ted H

Labels: , , , , ,

Permalink | Email Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home