Fast Fitness - Quick Warm Up Strengthen Legs Without Knee Pain - Standing Lunge Thank You Grand Rounds 3.45 Overlooked Ab Muscles in Overhead Lifts Fast Fitness Friday Thank you GrandRounds 3.44 Lunges and Beans Hip Stretch While You Strengthen Legs Prevent Neck Pain and Get Upper Back Exercise Carr... Better Exercise on the Stairs August 2006 September 2006 October 2006 November 2006 December 2006 January 2007 February 2007 March 2007 April 2007 May 2007 June 2007 July 2007 August 2007 September 2007 October 2007 November 2007 December 2007 January 2008 February 2008 March 2008 April 2008 May 2008 June 2008 July 2008 August 2008 September 2008 October 2008 November 2008 December 2008 January 2009 February 2009 March 2009 April 2009 May 2009 June 2009 July 2009 August 2009 September 2009 October 2009 November 2009 December 2009 January 2010 February 2010 March 2010 April 2010

Lung Training from the Exercise Ball

Jolie Bookspan, M.Ed, PhD, FAWM
The week before I left to teach at the Wilderness conference, I taught my University yoga class entirely on an exercise ball. I will post about functional movement on a ball in weeks to come.

We don't use three of the most ineffective things you can do on a ball - crunches, sitting on the ball (for almost anything), and arching the lower back over the ball. These seem to be three of the more common things done on the ball in fitness classes, but they are not fit or effective.

Another myth is that an exercise ball will magically make you sit straight. You can sit with as faulty positioning as on any other surface.

Most of my students brought in an owned or borrowed exercise ball. I brought in three more for students without access. Some of the students pin-balled cheerfully through the narrow doorway with a large inflated exercise ball. One came in on the subway holding hers. I managed a comic, calorie-burning commute with three on a bicycle. A few students brought theirs uninflated. Wow, such an idea.


They asked me if I had a pump.

I told them, "Yes, your lungs, blow it up."

They sat politely waiting for the other students who brought a pump to finish with theirs.

I chided them that people talk all about yoga and breathing but here was opportunity in the tangible. They sat politely waiting for the pump. I demonstrated - "fffooooooooou."

I told them that when I was small, I was transfixed when my father, a Russian ice swimmer, blew up a beach ball in one breath. I decided then and there that I wanted to do that. I experimented with bags. I'd inflate to all my capacity and compare the bag to my little chest. I later practiced this in my swimming career until I was measured by scientists who came one day to test our whole team. My lung volume (not counting residual that you cannot breathe out) came in close to 6 liters. They called me a sports car. I didn't know what that was and hoped they were not flunking me. Who knows how much was from my 35 to 40 mile a week swimming training, or inherited, or just lung size relative to height. Still, a "big engine" can be trained and added to the mix. Click the label "breathing" under this post for entries about training breathing and exercise capacity.

My students took a chance on believing me that breathing and yoga and health had something to do with real life, and took a big breath to the ball. Bigger, bigger, full. Then quick hands to cap it off. They laughed. Laughing is good for breathing too. Then we started class.

Related:

---
I make posts from fun mail and success stories. Before asking questions, see if your answers are already here - click labels under posts, links in posts, archives at right, and the Fitness Fixer Index. Why not try fun stuff, then contribute! Read success stories of these methods and send your own.
Subscribe to The Fitness Fixer, free. Click "updates via e-mail" (under trumpet) upper right.
See Dr. Bookspan's Books, take a Class, get certified - DrBookspan.com/Academy.
---

Photo - from the world's strongest lungs competition

Labels: , , ,

Permalink | Email Post

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home